Allardyce rules out Carroll & Berbatov
West Ham boss Sam Allardyce does not expect Andy Carroll or Dimitar Berbatov to join the club this summer, despite holding talks with Liverpool over England forward Carroll.
The Hammers are one of a number of clubs who are interested in loaning Carroll from Liverpool, although it is understood the Anfield club are only interested in a straight sale of their £35 million man.
Allardyce confirmed he had spoken to the Reds regarding a potential loan swoop, but he revealed both the club and player were resistant to the approach. Speaking ahead of West Ham's Tuesday friendly at Oxford, Allardyce said he did not expect negotiations to go any further.
"We're not in that situation where we can secure a deal with Liverpool for Andy," Allardyce told Sky Sports News. "We talked to Liverpool but at the moment there is nothing progressing regarding Andy.
"Andy's yet to make his mind up where his future lies, he's on holiday. And the negotiations with Liverpool haven't reached a situation where we've been able to agree. So we'll move on to other players."
Allardyce also quashed talk of a move for Berbatov, who recently stated he had been told he could leave Manchester United for £5 million. The West Ham boss said any paper talk regarding that deal was purely speculation.
"That's pure speculation. I haven't had a chat with Sir Alex," Allardyce said. "A statement came out from Dimitar saying he was available for £5 million, everyone knows we're looking for a striker, so they say we're in for him.
"I haven't had any conversations with Sir Alex."
One deal that could happen is that of Modibo Maiga, with Allardyce saying: "That is progressing. We're going forward but it's still a little way off being clinched."