Russia hold talks with Capello
Fabio Capello has held talks with the Russian Football Union (RFU) about taking over as national coach after Dick Advocaat vacated the role this summer.
Russian football officials confirmed that negotiations with the 66-year-old, who resigned as England manager in February, had taken place, and said they were now preparing to interview other candidates.
"They [the RFU] received Capello today and conducted negotiations," the Russian sports minister, Vitaly Mutko, told the RIA Novosti news agency. "From here, we move on to the next candidate.
"I think that over the course of a week, and certainly by next Tuesday, all the consultations with the managers on our list will be held."
On Monday, the RFU announced that it would take the unusual step of revealing a shortlist of candidates. Harry Redknapp, Rafael Benitez, Pep Guardiola and Fabio Capello were among the names on the 13-man shortlist, released the following day.
Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini had been linked with the position, but on Monday the Premier League champions confirmed that he had agreed a new five-year deal at the Etihad.
Advocaat stepped down after Russia went out at the group stage of Euro 2012 following a 1-0 defeat to Greece. He had already agreed to take up a role with PSV Eindhoven.