Spurs are reported to have made contact with representatives of Andre Villas-Boas as they step up their search for a replacement for Harry Redknapp.
Redknapp was surprisingly axed on Wednesday after guiding Tottenham to fourth place last season - although Chelsea's victory over Bayern Munich in the Champions League final meant the North Londoners missed out on a place in next season's Champions League.
The BBC has reported that intermediaries acting for Spurs have contacted Villas-Boas' agent in order to assess his interest in the White Hart Lane job. Other reports suggest the 34-year-old, who was sacked by Chelsea in March, has already privately expressed an interest.
It is believed Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy will take personal charge of the search for a new manager. Names so far linked with the post include the Everton manager David Moyes - who says he has had no contact from Spurs - and the France coach Laurent Blanc.
Blanc's contract with the French football federation runs out after the European Championship, but it is thought likely that he may be more keen to remain in the national team post than move to London.
The Wigan boss Roberto Martinez, who masterminded a superb late run to steer his team clear of relegation danger, has also been mentioned as a possible candidate.
Redknapp said there was nothing he could have done about his exit from the club, with the 65-year-old telling The Sun: "I won't slit my throat over it. I want to get on with my life instead of moping about getting the sack.
"I loved every minute of my time at Spurs and I've no regrets whatsoever. I don't feel bitter, nor regretful - there's no confusion or anger.
"When people at the top don't like you, what can you do about it? I have to respect it. I can't do anything about that."