Borussia Dortmund
Seattle Sounders FC
ESPN3 2:00 AM UTC Jul 30, 2017

Bouanga explains Lorient extension

Football

W2W4: Liga MX Femenil set for historic debut

Liga MX

Jones pleased with first United season

Phil Jones has expressed his delight at the number of first-team appearances he has made for Manchester United during his debut season at Old Trafford.

Jones, 20, signed for United from Blackburn for £16.5 million last summer and has since featured in 28 of the Red Devils' 37 matches during the 2011-12 campaign.

The England international's extended involvement has been largely down to his ability to play in a number of positions, and he has admitted to his surprise at how much game time he has enjoyed.

"It has gone really well," Jones said. "If anyone had told me at the start of the season I would have made 40 appearances for Manchester United I would have snapped their hands off. It is incredible.

"I didn't expect it this season but it all started off really well. Perhaps I picked up a few injuries at the wrong time because at the back end of the season I couldn't really get my match fitness back. But now I feel good, fit and fresh and hopefully I can finish the season strongly."

While Jones is focused on club matters in the short-term ahead of the final match of the season against Sunderland, he is also looking ahead to the summer, when it is likely he will be named in either England's Euro 2012 squad or the Great Britain side for the Olympics.

He said: "There are two massive competitions coming up at the end of the season. Hopefully I can be part of one of them."

Comments