Ferdinand considers his options
Terry and Ferdinand will face each other for the first time in the Premier League this weekend since Terry was charged with racially abusing the QPR centre-back in the reverse fixture last October.
The Football Association cancelled the pre-match handshake when the two clubs met in the FA Cup in January, but the Premier League insist that the handshake between the two sides will go ahead in Sunday's game at Stamford Bridge.
It is not known whether Ferdinand will definitely avoid shaking hands with Terry, but it is understood the former Sunderland and West Ham player has discussed with his lawyers whether doing so would prejudice the former England captain's trial, which is due to take place on July 9.
Terry was charged with a racially-aggravated public order offence in December last year. He denies the charge and has vowed to fight "tooth and nail" to clear his name.
It is understood Ferdinand has held talks with QPR about the handshake, and the player insists he is in the right frame of mind to play despite the hostile atmosphere he and his team-mates will face in Sunday's West London derby.
The Premier League insists the fair play ritual, which it introduced into the top-flight in 2004, is an important part of the game and will therefore remain.
Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore told the Sport Industry Breakfast Club last month: "It's not a handshake that says everybody loves everybody else. It's a handshake that says, 'Whatever crap's gone on before now and whatever crap will go on after this game is over, for the next 90 minutes - let's just play a game of football'.
"It's nothing more symbolic than that, which is why in our view they should continue - period."