Sacked Sydney FC boss Melton denies claims
Dumped Sydney FC chief executive Dirk Melton has strongly denied allegations of unacceptable behaviour when managing staff and is considering legal action after being sacked by the A-League club.
In the latest crisis to hit the A-League, the club's board terminated Melton's contract on Monday, saying its decision followed an investigation into staff complaints.
"The unanimous decision of the board follows a number of formal complaints of a serious nature by employees which were investigated and revealed behaviour in Mr Melton's management of staff which was completely unacceptable," a club statement said.
The board acknowledged Melton's role in setting the club on a path to achieve its strategic long-term goals.
"However, the board determined that Mr Melton's behaviour towards staff was inconsistent with his obligations and could not be tolerated by the board."
Neither the club nor Melton would comment on the exact nature of the allegations but the axed CEO was adamant he'd done nothing wrong.
"I will not be commenting on the circumstances that have purportedly given rise to the board's decision other than to deny strenuously any allegations that have been made against me suggesting that I have engaged in unacceptable management of staff or any other form of inappropriate behaviour," said Melton in a statement.
"I believe my excellent relationships with the vast majority of Sydney FC's staff speak for themselves."
The club has appointed seasoned football administrator Stefan Kamasz as acting chief executive officer while it searches for its seventh CEO in seven seasons.
It's a further complication for a club which is without a major sponsor and searching for a new coach after the decision to cut ties with Vitezslav Lavicka at the end of the current season.
And it's a further drama for Football Federation Australia and the A-League, with the dust yet to settle over last week's FFA decision to strip mining magnate Clive Palmer of his Gold Coast United A-League licence.
Melton, who only became chief executive in June last year, said via his Twitter account he was disappointed to depart Sydney under such circumstances.
"I'm sad it has ended like this. I wish the @SydneyFC team and staff all the best," Melton tweeted.
"Tough day. Tough job! Thanks to all those who have sent well wishes. I gave my all at @SydneyFC and I'm proud of what was achieved."