Fabio Capello has no regrets about walking out on England and is convinced he took the right decision in resigning after having his managerial authority whipped from under his feet by the Football Association.
"We have seen the press conference live here in Italy and I can confirm that what the FA chairman and Mr Alex Horne has said is substantially correct," Capello's son, agent and lawyer Pierfilipo told ESPNsoccernet.
"I was not there at the meeting so I cannot give any details of that meeting and only those who attended can, and Fabio will not talk about that meeting. However, I agree with what Fabio did. It is an opinion, and I am talking on behalf of a father rather than a client, that he has taken the right decision."
It was made quite clear that the Capello camp believe the way the FA's handling of the showdown meeting at Wembley on Thursday backfired spectacularly.
FA chairman David Bernstein admits he had no intention of firing Capello, but the talks ended with the Italian believing his position as England manager was untenable.
Capello wanted John Terry reinstated as captain, or at least felt he was entitled to voice his disapproval that a decision about the team, and a major decision at that, had been taken out of his hands, thus undermining his authority within the dressing room.
A lecture to Capello on the extent to which the FA felt the England manager had gone off message and broken FA protocol, rather than breached his contract, promoted his shock resignation.
The final handshake might have been cordial, but the FA had caused the split, rather than forcing it, and that will inevitably raise questions about how the whole episode was handled, leaving the England team without a manager or a captain four months before a major tournament.