Brisbane Roar drop Berisha appeal
The unwanted distraction of an appeal trumped star Brisbane import Besart Berisha's desire to challenge a one A-League match code of conduct ban.
The competition's leading goal scorer will now miss Saturday night's clash with Newcastle at Suncorp Stadium following the club's decision to "move on".
Football Federation Australia hit the fiery Albanian striker with a one-game suspension after he challenged Sydney FC defender Pascal Bosschaart to a fight in the tunnel, the incident sparking an ugly melee involving players from both teams.
It's believed an angry Berisha, still upset over alleged offensive comments made by Bosschaart, was keen to challenge the ban but after lengthy talks accepted the club's decision to reluctantly let the issue rest.
Roar boss Michael Bowers said while the club had opted not to appeal they fully supported Berisha.
"Besart has been nothing short of outstanding for this club since his arrival, both on and off the field," Bowers said in a prepared statement.
"He has impressed everyone who has come in contact with him with his good natured demeanour and positive outlook.
"This past week has undoubtedly been a difficult one for Besart and as a club we have made the decision to (reluctantly) accept the ban, put the events behind us and move forward."
Bowers said the club and coach Ange Postecoglou had to weigh up the chances of winning an appeal against the disruption to preparations for the game against the Jets.
Postecoglou said during the week his players needed to rediscover the form they were in before last year's final series.
"We're not far off but we're not playing the same style of football yet," he said.