Previous
Fortuna Düsseldorf
St Pauli
6:15 PM GMT
Game Details
Real Sociedad
Getafe
6:45 PM GMT
Game Details
Genoa
Empoli
6:45 PM GMT
Game Details
West Bromwich Albion
Manchester United
7:00 PM GMT
Game Details
Next

50-50: Liverpool vs. Real Madrid

Champions League about an hour ago
Read
Dec 22, 2011

Torres hits back over 'lies'

Chelsea striker Fernando Torres has hit out at Liverpool over his exit from Anfield 11 months ago.

• Choose your Prem Lge XI of 2011

Once a hero on Merseyside, Torres is now a hate figure after agreeing a £50 million move in the January window. He suggested he was told lies by Liverpool's owners, and also said he is bemused by the Liverpool fans' attitude towards him.

In an interview with Spanish TV station Canal+ Liga, Torres said: "The Liverpool fans don't know the truth about why I signed for Chelsea. The fans don't even know half of what happened. They don't know what the people in charge at Liverpool are like - they have a completely different perception of what they are like.

"They made promises that they didn't keep and I left because I realised I didn't have time to be part of a project that would take years. I have nothing against the Liverpool fans. I didn't want to leave Liverpool the way I did but the club lied. I was let down and I don't understand why the fans hate me."

Torres' move to Chelsea has, so far, been an unmitigated disaster, scoring just three Premier League goals. The only game he has started since November 1 is the Carling Cup tie with Liverpool and he has been an unused substitute in their last two matches.

But the Spain international is determined to rediscover the form which saw him score 56 goals in his first three Premier League seasons.

"I am going to try to be very humble and get back into the Chelsea starting line-up," he added. "My form has not been good but I am world and European champion and I deserve more respect.

"It's hard being on the bench but I respect the players who are playing. I'm going to support the team and get back in.

"It's true that [Spain head coach] Vicente del Bosque is worried about me and my form for Chelsea. It's up to me to go back to being the striker I was before. If I go back to how I was a few years ago, I will again play an important role in the Spanish national team."

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.