Barca rubber stamp Iniesta contract
Andres Iniesta has officially signed the new deal which ties him to Barcelona until at least June 2018.
Barca president Sandro Rosell announced last week that long-running contract talks, which had stalled giving encouragement to suitors including Manchester City and Manchester United, had reached a successful conclusion.
The midfielder, 29, was at the Camp Nou on Monday morning, along with his family and an assortment of senior Blaugrana club figures, to put pen to paper and smile for the photographers.
“On Monday at midday, Andres Iniesta signed a new contract binding him to FC Barcelona until June 30, 2018,” a club statement said.
Hoy es un día mágico! Mi vida en mi club... Gracias por el cariño que me habéis dado desde que llegué con 12 años!!! pic.twitter.com/nKVRxwRwNA— Andrés Iniesta (@andresiniesta8) December 23, 2013
“The event took place in the Club offices, where the midfielder was joined by president Sandro Rosell, and the vice-president responsible for the Sports Area, Josep Maria Bartomeu, as well as director of sport Andoni Zubizarreta and the player’s agent. On such a special day, Andres Iniesta was also joined by his parents and daughter Valeria. From 2017-18, his contract will be automatically extended provided he has appeared in a certain number of matches over the course of the season just ended.”
Iniesta has been at Barca since he was 12, and has already won three Champions League trophies, six La Liga titles, two Copas del Rey and two World Club Cups with the club, as well as claiming the Euro 2008, World Cup 2010, and Euro 2012 crowns with Spain.
“I am very happy,” he said. “In one way or another I am very happy to renew my contract, above all for the moment the team is in. When the contract ends I will be 34, so this brings me close to retiring here. I hope that I can keep performing as I am now.”