Dorlan Pabon nears Valencia switch
Colombian forward Dorlan Pabon is set to join Valencia for around €7 million from Mexican club Monterrey.
Pabon, who impressed on loan during the second half of last season at Real Betis, reportedly underwent a medical in Mexico last weekend.
He is now due in Valencia this week to complete the deal, after Los Che paid the $10 million [€7.2 million] buy-out clause in his Monterrey contract.
The Mexican outfit’s president Luis Miguel Salvador told Superdeporte that his club had wanted to keep Pabon but were powerless to stop the transfer happening.
"We have to look at things so that what has to be done is done," Salvador said. "The payment must be with us in the coming days and once that is done, as is stipulated, the player is free to join somebody else.
"From the start, we were clear that we would not negotiate with Valencia, but we can do nothing if the club pays the release clause and have the consent of the player."
Valencia had apparently been tracking the former Parma player for some weeks, but waited until August 20 to make their move after being made aware that the clause kicked-in on that date.
Pabon, 25, who can play wide or as a second striker, scored eight times in 17 games at Betis. He will now help cover the vacuum up front at Mestalla left by Roberto Soldado's €30 million move to Tottenham.
When asked about the possible move after Saturday’s 1-0 Primera Division opening weekend win over Malaga, Los Che coach Miroslav Djukic admitted his interest.
"He fulfills the profile," Djukic said then.
After that game Valencia president Amadeo Salvo also suggested that a new signing was imminent with the club having freed up space on their wagebill by sending left-back Aly Cissokho on a season-long loan move to Liverpool.
Argentine winger Pablo Piatti is also expected to leave the Mestalla before the end of the summer transfer window. Piatti himself rejected a move to Ligue 1 side Rennes last week after the two clubs had agreed a €2.5 million fee, and La Liga clubs Getafe and Celta Vigo now reportedly head the queue for his signature.