Atletico Madrid are confident that Sevilla striker Alvaro Negredo will be their player by the end of the week, according to Marca.
The Colchoneros are looking to replace Radamel Falcao, who signed for Monaco earlier this summer, and Negredo is the man they have set their sights on for next season.
Last week, Sevilla president Jose Maria del Nido confirmed that Atletico, who finished third in La Liga last term and subsequently qualified for the Champions League, had submitted an offer.
However, Del Nido also said there had been a bid from a club abroad, reported to be Manchester City. Madrid-based daily Marca reports that, amid that interest, Atlético are determined to wrap up the deal expected to be in the region of €20 to €25 million before Friday.
"We are calm with Negredo, we've already rejected a first offer," Del Nido told Sevilla's television channel last week. "Currently there are two offers, one from Atletico and another from a foreign team which we are not going to say who."
If Negredo does move to Madrid he’ll have big shoes to fill. Falcao’s goals helped Atletico Madrid seal both the Europa League title in 2012 and last season’s Copa del Rey.
But Negredo’s scoring record in La Liga for a mediocre Sevilla side proves his nose for goal. He notched up 25 league goals last season, just three less than the Colombian striker who he looks set to replace.