Ter Stegen backed for Barca move
Borussia Monchengladbach defender Alvaro Dominguez has suggested his team-mate Marc-Andre Ter Stegen is already preparing for life as Barcelona’s new goalkeeper.
With current Barca No. 1 Victor Valdes having signalled his intention to leave the Camp Nou, the German has featured in heavily in speculation about a replacement, with Liverpool’s Pepe Reina and Valencia’s Vicente Guaita also suggested as options.
Former Atletico Madrid centre-back Dominguez told Radio Barcelona that Ter Stegen, 21, would be able to communicate well if he did move to La Liga, and his style of goalkeeping was ideal for Barca.
"Ter Stegen has been learning Spanish for months,” Dominguez said. “He would adapt to the Barca style. He has personality, quality, is good with both feet and starts moves from the back.”
Barca look likely to enter the market this summer, with Valdes thought to have decided to move on now, rather than when his current contract ends in 12 months’ time. Monaco would be prepared to meet Barca’s reported asking price of €25 million, AS reports, with Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger unlikely to go so far for the 31-year-old.
Barca playmaker Xavi Hernandez told reporters after training at their Ciutat Esportiva training ground on Wednesday that Valdes would be missed, but he was sure sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta and coach Tito Vilanova would choose a suitable replacement.
“Victor’s situation is a pity, but it is his decision,” Xavi said. “He is a ten as a player and as a person. I know he does not want to renew and that is clear. We will miss him, but hopefully whoever comes in will be at the same level.”