Barcelona president Sandro Rosell has said the “door is still open” for Victor Valdes if the keeper changes his mind and decides to sign a new deal with the club.
Earlier this month, Valdes told Barca through his agent that he did not intend to renew his current deal, which ends in June 2014.
The development saw Barca linked with a host of potential replacements including Liverpool’s Pepe Reina, Manchester United’s David De Gea, Borussia Moenchengladbach’s Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Vicente Guaita of Valencia, and Thibaut Courtois, currently on loan from Chelsea to Atletico Madrid.
Barcelona coach Tito Vilanova and players Andres Iniesta and Lionel Messi said they respected Valdes' decision to leave but hoped he might still choose to stay.
The Camp Nou crowd gave the goalkeeper a mostly positive reception in his first home game since the announcement - Sunday’s 5-1 La Liga win against Osasuna.
Rosell told reporters on Monday that there was still time for the former La Masia graduate to change his mind, as long as he did so before Barca had bought another keeper.
“The Camp Nou said [on Sunday] that it loved Valdes,” he said. “Our door is still open if he changes his mind, if he does so before we have found a replacement.
“The Camp Nou always passes sentence, for good and for bad, and it showed it loves him.”
Valdes joined Barca as a youth in 1992 and has spent his entire professional career with the club. He has not spoken publicly about his future since the news broke that he had decided to leave, but a statement released by his agent in mid-January said he had “made an irreversible decision not to renew his contract”.