Shkupi
2:30 AM UTC Jul 19, 2018

World Cup stock: Mbappe rises as Messi, Neymar fall

FIFA World Cup

Lopetegui expecting 'tweaks' to Madrid's squad

Ronaldo: It was 'easy to decide' to join Juventus

James won't make early Madrid return - agency

Madrid players meet Lopetegui as training opens

Hazard, Chelsea may be ready for split - Martinez

Griezmann: Ballon d'Or voting is not up to me

France

Lenglet 'would love' Rabiot to join Barcelona

Ex-Villarreal coach Marcelino threatens to sue Rayo Vallecano chief

Marcelino Villarreal
Marcelino has called for a public apology from Rayo Vallecano's president.

Former Villarreal manager Marcelino has demanded a public apology from Rayo Vallecano president Raul Martin Presa for comparing him to the Lufthansa pilot that deliberately crashed a plane in the French Alps that killed 150 people last year.

Martin Presa blamed Marcelino for his team's relegation to the second division after the Villarreal coach fielded a weakened side in a 2-0 defeat at relegation-threatened Sporting Gijon in La Liga.

The result helped Marcelino's home club remain in Spain's top flight while it confirmed the relegation of both Rayo Vallecano and Getafe.

Villarreal president Fernando Roig said earlier this week that he had dismissed Marcelino in August because of a problem of "honesty within Villarreal."

Martin Presa made the comparison after Roig's comments.

"I already told Villarreal that neither they nor their executives were at fault. Unfortunately, it's like with Lufthansa that a mad pilot gets in and brings down a plane. It's a little bit similar," he said.

Marcelino held a news conference in Tuesday to defend himself and threatened to sue Martin Presa.

"I want to send a message to the Rayo Vallecano president. I request a public retraction from Mr. Martin Presa in the next hours for his unfortunate and offensive public comments where he established a comparison between me and an individual that took the lives of 149 people.

"I'm not mad, nor am I a killer. I am a football coach, professional and honest. He has insulted me and offended me. If he does not immediately rectify this, I will take the necessary legal actions."

Asked about the 2-0 defeat at Sporting Dijon on May 15, Marcelino said: "I did nothing to alter the competition and that is why I'm here."

Marcelino, who joined Villarreal in 2013 and led the club to a fourth-place finish in La Liga last season, was surprisingly dismissed last month.

Villarreal appointed Fran Escriba as his replacement.

Comments