Luis Suarez's lawyer is confident that the Barcelona forward will have his four-month ban reduced by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) when his appeal is heard on Friday.
Suarez's bid to have his suspension from "all football-related activity" by FIFA takes him to the court based in Lausanne, Switzerland, on Aug.8 after his case was fast-tracked.
The 27-year-old is banned for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini while representing Uruguay at the World Cup, although that did not preclude him from completing his 75 million-pound move from Liverpool to Barcelona last month.
An appeal to world football's governing body was rejected last month.
LUIS SUAREZ 2013-14 SEASON IN NUMBERS
• 31 - Premier League goals, winning the Golden Boot.
• 12 - Most assists in the Premier League.
• 24 - Scored the most goals from inside the box.
• 4 - Scored the most goals from counterattacks.
• 9 - Had the most shots that hit the woodwork.
• 3 - Most penalties won in the Premier League.
• 237 - Attempted more dribbles than any other player.
A decision on the appeal by CAS is expected next week. That means Suarez could be training with his new teammates within the next two weeks and be available for their first match of the season in La Liga at home to Elche on Sunday, Aug. 24.
The Uruguayan football Federation (UAF) has instructed Brazilian lawyer Daniel Cravo to lead the appeal against the suspension, which also precludes Suarez from nine international matches. One game of that ban -- the round-of-16 defeat to Colombia -- has already been served.
LUIS SUAREZ BITE STORM
- FIFA bans Luis Suarez for four months
- PL chief: Suarez an accident waiting to happen
- No 'bite clause' in Suarez's Barca contract
- Toe Poke: Fan gets dodgy Suarez tattoo
- Thompson: Portrait of a serial winner
- Brewin: No sympathy for Luis Suarez
- Thompson: Uruguay comes to Suarez defence
- Marcotti: Suarez in another bite storm
Cravo told Radio Globo in his homeland that he believes he has a strong case to have the ban reduced.
"I think FIFA wanted to show they could take action," he said. "There was dissatisfaction with how other incidents had been treated at the World Cup and Suarez paid for them. Not even the sanction of [Zinedine] Zidane in 2006 or those of Leonardo and [Mauro] Tassotti in 1994 were as severe.
"Is the Suarez incident the worst in the history of the World Cup?
"I believe that the sanction which affects his work at a club level will be revoked. There is no precedent in history to justify it.
"I am going to try and reduce his ban with Uruguay -- nine games is too much and would stop him from playing until 2016.
"[The CAS] is totally different and on various occasions in the past they have taken completely different decisions to those which have been taken by FIFA."
Should Suarez serve out his entire four-month, his first match back could be el clasico -- Real Madrid vs. Barcelona, now scheduled for the weekend of Oct. 25-26. However, that will be determined by when Spanish broadcasters choose to have the game scheduled that weekend. Suarez's ban ends on Oct. 26, a Sunday.
ALL-TIME HIGHEST TRANSFER FEES
1) £85m Gareth Bale -- Tottenham to Real Madrid, Sept. 2013
2) £80m Cristiano Ronaldo -- Man Utd to R. Madrid, June 2009
3) £75m Luis Suarez -- Liverpool to Barcelona, July 2014
4) £71m James Rodriguez -- Monaco to Real Madrid, July 2014
5) £59.7m Angel Di Maria -- Real Madrid to Man Utd, Aug. 2014
6) £56m Kaka -- AC Milan to Real Madrid, June 2009