Previous
Southampton
Norwich City
3
0
FT
Game Details
Swansea City
Manchester United
2
1
FT
Game Details
Seattle Sounders FC
Portland Timbers
2
1
FT
Game Details
Sevilla FC
Atletico Madrid
0
3
FT
Game Details
Borussia Dortmund
Hertha Berlin
3
1
FT
Game Details
AS Roma
Juventus
2
1
FT
Game Details
AS Monaco
Paris Saint-Germain
0
3
FT
Game Details
Next
Las PalmasLas Palmas
LevanteLevante
0
0
FT
Game Details
GetafeGetafe
GranadaGranada
1
2
FT
Game Details
Sevilla FCSevilla FC
Atletico MadridAtletico Madrid
0
3
FT
Game Details
ValenciaValencia
Deportivo La CoruñaDeportivo La Coruña
1
1
FT
Game Details
EibarEibar
Athletic BilbaoAthletic Bilbao
2
0
FT
Game Details
Real MadridReal Madrid
Real BetisReal Betis
5
0
FT
Game Details
Celta VigoCelta Vigo
Rayo VallecanoRayo Vallecano
3
0
FT
Game Details

Barcelona chief admits 'irregularities'

Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has maintained his stance that the transfer ban imposed by FIFA is excessive but admitted that the club had "committed certain irregularities" in the past.

- Corrigan: Luis Enrique hails 'magic' Lionel Messi
- Ledwith: Messi, Munir shine in Barca win

In April, world football's governing body banned Barca from signing any players for two consecutive transfer windows after they were found guilty of breaching regulations designed to avoid the exploitation and trafficking of young players.

That ban was suspended while FIFA considered an appeal by the club, but officials last week rejected the appeal and confirmed that the sanction would stay in place.

Barca then said they would take their appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, but no date for a hearing has so far been set.

Speaking to the club's official website after the opening La Liga win over Elche at the Camp Nou on Saturday, Bartomeu said he had always known that the case would end up at the CAS. He stressed that he still thought FIFA's punishment was "too big" even though the club had committed "certain irregularities."

"We were aware that FIFA would ratify its sanction," he said. "In the past, we have committed certain irregularities -- but always respecting the spirit of the regulation. We knew that we'd end up going to the CAS, and now that time has come."

Bartomeu said Barca's 150 million summer outlay on players including Luis Suarez, Ivan Rakitic, Claudo Bravo, Marc Andre Ter-Stegen, Jermey Mathieu and Thomas Vermaelen had been made in the knowledge that the club might not be able to sign again for another 18 months.

"We knew that we might not be able to make signings in the next two transfer windows and that at the same time there was a pressing need to renew the squad," he explained.

"It was highly unlikely that the tribunal would not ratify a sanction that had already been imposed. It was only to be expected... but the penalty is far too big."

It was possible that Barca would spend even more money in the days before the transfer window closes, he added, saying: "Let's see what happens over the next few days."

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.