Santos take action over Neymar deal
Neymar’s former club Santos have sought a Brazilian court injunction to get access to all the documents relating to the player’s controversial transfer to Barcelona last summer.
The Brazilian club have contacted both Barca and Neymar’s father to try to clarify exactly how much was paid to whom during the transfer, but it remains unsatisfied with the explanations given to date.
Barca have admitted that they paid out a total of 86.2 million euros when signing Neymar last summer but say the “transfer fee” constituted only 57.1 million -- 17.1 million of which was paid to Santos, with the player’s father receiving the other 40 million.
Details of the complex deal published on Barca’s website also include a “collaboration agreement” with Santos worth 7.9 million euros, as well as 8.5 million euros paid to Neymar Sr. for services related to marketing, scouting and development work in Sao Paulo.
Santos released a statement on Tuesday saying the club still had reservations about the whole arrangement and wanted a judge to grant it access to all the relevant paperwork involved.
“Santos FC, after exhausting all amicable attempts at obtaining the contracts and documents signed between NN Consultoria Esportiva and Neymar Sports Marketing with FC Barcelona regarding the transfer of the idol Neymar to the Catalan club, attempts which were unfortunately unsuccessful, submitted late on Monday an injunction against the aforementioned companies,” the statement read. “The lawsuit seeks to obtain the documents for examination, so the club can become aware of the reasons that justify the receipt of such amounts by these companies, without the participation of Santos FC or the other holders of the economic rights of the athlete Neymar Jr.”
DIS Esporte, an investment fund that held 40 percent of Neymar’s “playing rights” until last summer, has previously threatened to go to court to get its fair share of the monies paid out.
Meanwhile, Barcelona’s new club president, Josep Maria Bartomeu, has been named in a new criminal case being proposed by a Spanish crusading organisation.
Manos Limpias is a well-known right-wing union that takes cases against public figures it feels have been engaged in wrongdoing. It was involved in the case that saw Spain’s Princess Cristina testify in court over fraud accusations last weekend, and has also targeted public figures including left-wing judge Baltazar Garzon.
The conservative group has approached Madrid-based judge Pablo Ruz, who is overseeing the ongoing Spanish court investigation into the transfer, with its complaint, which includes the names of Bartomeu, predecessor Sandro Rosell, Neymar Sr., and Barca vice-president Javier Faus.
Manos Limpias spokesperson Miguel Bernard told Marca that the move was not just targeted at the Catalan club and could potential cover Real Madrid’s signing of Gareth Bale from Tottenham last summer.
“It seems to us that this is not clear, that there are indications of an illegal situation, and we want to clarify these contracts completely,” Bernard said. “During this investigation, if we see evidence of similar situations in other dazzling transfers in La Liga, we will also ask for explanations.”
Manos Limpias previously looked into Cristiano Ronaldo’s transfer to Real Madrid from Manchester United in 2009 but no legal case followed.