Barcelona midfielder Jonathan Dos Santos will undergo surgery on his injured right leg on Nov. 5 and be sidelined for six months.
Dos Santos, 23, suffered the anterior cruciate ligament injury in training on Wednesday, and it was immediately feared that his season could be over already. Subsequent tests confirmed that an operation was required, and a club statement said it will be April before he is back in contention to play.
"Jonathan Dos Santos will undergo surgery on Nov. 5 to deal with the cruciate ligament injury he suffered in training this week and is expected to be out for up to six months, according to the club’s medical services," the statement said. "The Mexican youngster is in his second season with the first team squad and has played in three league games this campaign: against Valencia, Rayo Vallecano and Almeria."
The youngster had been tipped to join Real Sociedad on loan during the January transfer window, but the Basque side will now have to look elsewhere for midfield cover.