AC Milan's Suso: Inter tried to sign me twice
AC Milan winger Suso has revealed that rivals Inter twice attempted to persuade him to cross the divide and play in their colours.
The 24-year-old's future had been in doubt during the summer and Inter, sensing vulnerability, decided to test their city rivals' resolve by making a bid.
However, the circumstances changed when Elliot Management repossessed the club in July after former owner Li Yonghong defaulted on a €32 million recapitalisation payment.
Elliot's credibility as owner's led to Milan's reinstatement into the Europa League and provided the stability that allowed the Spanish winger to stay.
"Look, I'm going to tell you something," Suso told ESPN FC. "Write it as I say it. This summer there was an opportunity... There was an offer to go to Inter and [Milan's former sporting director Massimiliano] Mirabelli was aware of it.
"It surprised me a little," Suso continued, "when he said publicly he didn't know anything about it. He did. We spoke to him about it. But as I said my intention was to always stay here. I am very, very happy."
When asked if Inter had also come knocking the summer before while the Spain international held talks with Milan about a contract extension, Suso replied: "Yes, exactly. [They tried] twice."
But Suso's sympathy for the Diavolo endured and Mirabelli's successor Leonardo has since said: "He is important for us and will be in the future too."
AC Milan face Inter in the Derby della Madonnina Saturday.