Swansea's Jonjo Shelvey targeted by Newcastle and Crystal Palace - sources
Newcastle United and Crystal Palace are weighing up moves for unsettled Swansea City midfielder Jonjo Shelvey, sources have told ESPN FC.
Shelvey, 23, has fallen out of favour at Swansea in recent weeks and was left out of the squad for last weekend's 2-1 defeat at Manchester United.
Sources have told ESPN FC that Swansea are open to offers for Shelvey and that the player is willing to move in search of regular first-team football if he does not figure in the club's long-term plans.
THE BEST OF ESPN FC
- Bell: Liverpool fans make themselves heard
- Cox: Leicester improving | Why Poch should stay
- Okwonga: Man United's market | City's title hopes
- Laurens: PSG's pre-UCL issues | Hertha's curse
- Highlights (U.S. only): Stuttgart 1-3 BVB
- FC TV: Champions League W2W4 | LVG wrong
- News | Transfer | Toe Poke | Fantasy | FC TV | Podcast | MLS
The news has alerted a number of clubs during this month's transfer window with Crystal Palace and Newcastle long-term admirers of the midfielder.
Palace boss Alan Pardew is a big fan of Shelvey having worked with the player when he was coming through the ranks at Charlton Athletic.
Newcastle are in the market for a midfielder this month and Magpies manager Steve McClaren sees Shelvey as someone who can help boost their survival bid.
Newcastle are ready to alter their transfer strategy by switching from a predominantly foreign-based recruitment policy to target more British players as McClaren wants to incorporate more home-based players into his side.