Man United's Robin van Persie close to Fenerbahce switch
Robin van Persie is due to arrive in Istanbul on Sunday night as the Manchester United striker edges closer to completing his move to Fenerbahce.
The Turkish giants announced on Thursday that they had entered into negotiations with United and the Dutch striker over a potential move and their chairman, Aziz Yildirim, later told Hurriyet that the deal was in place.
They offficially confirmed on Sunday that Van Persie was due in Turkey on Sunday.
"Previously we reported that we had begun transfer negotiations with Manchester United and the Dutch player Robin van Persie. On the evening of Sunday July 12, he is coming to Istanbul," a statement on their official website read.
While Fener seem confident that a deal will be completed shortly, United boss Louis van Gaal refused to confirm that the 31-year-old was on his way out of Old Trafford on Friday.
Asked whether he was looking for a another striker because Van Persie was leaving, Van Gaal said: "When you say that it is not all true.
"When we feel we can say he is gone you shall hear it from Manchester United. We don't have the feeling yet."
Van Persie scored 30 goals for United as they won the league in 2012-13 following his £24 million move from Arsenal.
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
His impact since then, however, has been muted due to a series of niggling injuries, and he was limited to 10 goals in 29 appearances under compatriot Van Gaal last season.
If Van Persie is sold, United would have only Wayne Rooney, James Wilson and the injured Javier Hernandez -- out with a broken collarbone -- in their squad as recognised strikers following the exit of on-loan Falcao at the end of the season.