Rusescu arrival not the end for Negredo
Romania international striker Raul Rusescu's impending arrival at Sevilla does not mean the Liga club are sure to sell Alvaro Negredo this summer, according to their sporting director Monchi.
Rusescu, who scored 21 times in 29 games as Steaua Bucharest won the 2012-13 Romanian title, is due in Andalucia on Monday to undergo a medical and complete the deal.
The transfer fee has not been released by Sevilla, but local media reports suggest Steaua will receive around €2.3 million.
News of the deal immediately fuelled speculation that the Spanish side - over €100 million in debt - are set to cash in on centre-forward Negredo, who is reportedly keen to join Atletico Madrid in order to play Champions League football next term.
Monchi, however, insists that the media have read far too much into Rusescu’s signing.
"[Rusescu] is not coming here to replace Alvaro Negredo, because as of today, unless I have missed something, he is a Sevilla player,” he said. “Negredo has nothing to do with this move for Rusescu... We have read so many things in recent days, but some things must be coldly analysed.”
Sevilla have already sold Jesus Navas to Manchester City this summer, and are also reportedly looking to offload attackers Baba and Manu del Moral, who rarely featured under coach Unai Emery towards the end of last season.
Monchi suggested that Rusescu, 24, who is arriving on a five-year deal with a €40 million buy-out clause, would be useful to Emery as he can play in a number of attacking positions.
“He is a good finisher, with a good first touch,” he said. “He can play as the reference point up front, or alongside another forward. He moves very well across the whole front line.”
Sevilla president Jose Maria Del Nido said last month that he had earlier rejected a €17 million bid for Negredo from West Ham, while Everton reportedly had a lower offer turned down during the January transfer window.
The player's agent has suggested Rafa Benitez would like to bring his fellow countryman to Napoli, while Spanish media reports have claimed that Borussia Dortmund see him as a potential replacement for Robert Lewandowski, should the Pole move on this summer.