Schalke captain Benedikt Howedes out of action with hamstring strain
Benedikt Howedes faces "several weeks" out of action after leaving Schalke's Florida training camp early with a hamstring strain.
Schalke captain Howedes, 27, suffered the injury during Sunday's 2-0 triumph over Fort Lauderdale Strikers in the Florida Cup, with further tests on Monday confirming the damage.
The Germany international defender will definitely be missing when the sixth-placed Royal Blues resume their Bundesliga campaign against Werder Bremen on Jan. 24.
THE BEST OF ESPN FC
- Bell: Liverpool fans make themselves heard
- Cox: Leicester improving | Why Poch should stay
- Okwonga: Man United's market | City's title hopes
- Laurens: PSG's pre-UCL issues | Hertha's curse
- Highlights (U.S. only): Stuttgart 1-3 BVB
- FC TV: Champions League W2W4 | LVG wrong
- News | Transfer | Toe Poke | Fantasy | FC TV | Podcast | MLS
A statement on the club's official website said: "Schalke captain Benedikt Howedes suffered a pulled hamstring in his right leg during the opening stages of Sunday's friendly against the Fort Lauderdale Strikers. The injury was confirmed during tests on Monday evening.
"The training camp is now over for the 27-year-old, who returned home to Germany. Howedes will miss the Bundesliga restart, and will be out of action for the Royal Blues for several weeks."