Schalke defender Benedikt Howedes spurned Arsenal to stay
Schalke defender Benedikt Howedes has claimed that he has rejected an offer to join Arsenal and will stay with his current club.
Howedes was a key figure in Germany's successful World Cup campaign in Brazil last summer and while his defensive partner Mats Hummels has been the subject of widespread transfer speculation in the months since amid persistent links with a move to Manchester United, Howedes has not attracted such attention.
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
Yet it seems as if Arsene Wenger tried and failed to add him to his defensive options at Arsenal in recent weeks.
"I am able to confirm that Arsenal and AC Milan have been really keen on my services," Howedes told reporters.
"I wouldn't say that I have chosen against them, but simply that I have decided in favour of Schalke. My job here is not yet done and after the disappointment of last season I do not want to leave this way. I am a key player of this club and I am staying."
The comments from Howedes suggests Wenger is looking to bolster his defensive options, with his ongoing bid to sign goal keeper Petr Cech of Chelsea expected to move forward in the coming days.