Bristol City
7:45 PM UTC Jan 24, 2018
7:45 PM UTC Jan 24, 2018

LIVE: Madrid could move for Courtois

Transfer Talk
ESPN FC  By ESPN staff

Real Madrid's Karim Benzema: I lost respect for Mourinho after cat jibe

There's not a striker in the world who divides opinions more than Karim Benzema. Sid Lowe and the FC panel talk just what makes him so polarizing.
With just two goals in eight games for Real Madrid this season, the FC guys debate whether or not Karim Benzema is overrated.
The ESPN FC panel talk the ongoing struggles of Karim Benzema and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema has told Canal + he began to lose respect for Jose Mourinho after a 2011 news conference in which his then coach compared him to a cat.

Speaking on documentary "LeKBenzema," he revealed his irritation over the remark.

Mourinho told reporters: "If I can't hunt with a dog, I will hunt with a cat. With a dog you hunt more and you hunt better.

"But if you have not got a dog and you have got a cat, you hunt with a cat."

Benzema said it had been the cue for what had been "a good relationship" to begin showing strain.

He added: "After that, there were expressions and statements that were not necessarily well intended.

"I had the impression that it made him laugh. Even if he's someone I respect, after a while I started to lose it."

Benzema said he had an hour-long discussion with Mourinho in which he told him: "I'm a football player, you're my manager, I respect you, respect me as a player."

And he added: "From then on, there were no cats, no dogs or anything.

"I'm shy but if you make fun of me, I'll be straight. When you speak your mind, things are always better."

Follow @ESPNFC on Twitter to keep up with the latest football updates.

Comments