Real Madrid's appeal to remain in Copa del Rey rejected by RFEF
The Spanish football association has rejected Real Madrid's appeal to remain in the Copa del Rey after they were expelled for fielding an ineligible player.
Real played Denis Cheryshev in Wednesday's last-32 first-leg game at Cadiz, even though he was suspended, having been booked three times in the competition when on loan at Villarreal last season.
The club had claimed Cheryshev had not been personally notified of his sanction as their justification for an appeal, which the RFEF shot down in a lengthy statement on Thursday.
"Every club is responsible for checking whether their players are eligible to play," the Federation's appeals committee said.
Real president Florentino Perez said last week that he did not accept his club were responsible, as nobody had informed them that Cheryshev was banned.
The club now plan to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, which meets on Friday, and will request that the case be heard on the same day.
Should the CAS rule in Madrid's favor, the return match would be held on Wednesday at the Bernabeu.
When asked about Real Madrid fielding Cheryshev, former Portugal international Luis Figo said that during his time at the club, if a player had been suspended "he was aware of it" and knew he could not play.
"Back in my day, I don't think there was somebody responsible for that sort of thing. What I can say is that if I was ever suspended, I was aware of it and knew I couldn't play," Figo said when asked about the Russian's presence.