Cristiano Ronaldo questions Real Madrid transfer policy
Cristiano Ronaldo has suggested that he does not completely agree with the transfer business done by Real Madrid president Florentino Perez this summer.
Perez began the summer by spending over 110 million euros to bring World Cup stars James Rodriguez, Toni Kroos and Keylor Navas to the Estadio Santiago Bernabeu, continuing the club's galactico policy of recent years.
More recently an apparent need to balance the books has seen Angel Di Maria leave for Manchester United for around 75 million euros and Xabi Alonso sold to Bayern Munich in a surprise 10 million-euro deal.
Carlo Ancelotti's side, who ended last season by claiming the long-awaited Decima Champions League trophy, have subsequently begun the new campaign less impressively, losing the Spanish Supercopa to neighbours Atletico Madrid and being shocked 4-2 by Real Sociedad in La Liga last Sunday.
The currently injured Portugal captain told reporters at a commercial event on Monday that he did not want to talk too much about the transfer dealings, while hinting he himself would have done things differently.
"I have my very clear opinion, but I must calculate and I cannot always say what I think because tomorrow I will be on the front of the papers and I do not want that," Ronaldo said.
"But if I was in charge, maybe I would not do things like that. Everyone has their opinion and is free to say what they think. If the president thinks that the best thing for the team is to sign these players and let go those who left then we have to respect and support his decision."
Ronaldo accepted that the team's style of play would need to alter considering the changes in personnel, and selling the more defensively-minded midfielders Alonso and Di Maria had been a risk.
"It will change," he said. "They are different players, it could change for the better or the worse. I hope it is for the better. [James and Kroos] are very good players and should adapt well and help the team to be successful.
"Obviously Di Maria and Xabi are very important players, but we have others and we are happy with those who are here. I am sure that things will go well and the team will be at a very high level."
The 29-year-old did welcome the arrival of new Los Blancos striker Javier Hernandez, who has joined Madrid on loan from Manchester United for the current season.
"He is another player to help the team," Ronaldo said. "I hope he adapts well, that he can help us a lot and that it goes well for him. We are very happy to have him."