Benat denies January move
Real Betis midfielder Benat Etxeberria says he is aware of the transfer speculation around him, but he will not be moving clubs in the winter window.
Current Spanish international Benat, a reported €20 million January window target for Man City and Chelsea, has just 18 months left on his current contract and talks on a new deal over recent months have reportedly not brought any progress.
The Basque playmaker, who underlined his value with the long-range winner in his club’s 1-0 victory over Real Madrid last month, was close to a €16 million move to Bundesliga club Wolfsburg last summer, but the deal fell through.
He said on Thursday that more speculation was to be expected in the coming weeks, but there was no chance of a move this winter.
“I know that there will be talk of offers in January, the same as happened last summer,” Benat said. “My agents look after all that. I am turning off my phone until Jan 31.”