Print and go back ESPNsoccernet: Transfers Soccernet Print

Thursday, January 8, 2009
Hughes: Rovers have rejected Santa Cruz bid

Soccernet staff

Mark Hughes has revealed that Blackburn Rovers have rejected a new bid from Manchester City, this time in excess of 12 million, for their striker Roque Santa Cruz.

On Thursday morning the City boss revealed that he had been rebuffed after stepping up his interest in the Paraguayan he bought for Rovers last season from Bayern Munich for 3.5 million.

Blackburn chairman John Williams, on Wednesday, said that the club had received no bids for the player, but Hughes has since gone public with his interest.

Hughes is keen to strengthen his forward line during the current transfer window and is now considering whether to increase the offer, which he revealed was itself an improvement on the 12 million he tabled in the summer.

''We have made an improved bid, a substantial bid for Roque Santa Cruz but it was rejected,'' said Hughes. ''We made a bid in the region of 12million in the summer and it (the new bid) is significantly higher than that.

''But we still want to bring him to the club if we can but he is Blackburn's player and they don't want to deal at the level we have made a bid at. That is their prerogative.''

Santa Cruz hit an impressive 19 goals in his debut Premier League season for Rovers and enjoyed playing under Hughes at Ewood Park. So far this season the player has yet to recapture his form of last term, finding the net just three times as Rovers have struggled.

Hughes also revealed approaches had been turned down for West Ham United duo Scott Parker and Craig Bellamy.

``We made initial enquiries about Parker and Bellamy, made a double bid, but that was rejected. We haven't gone back to the table on that one but we may well do,'' he added.

Meanwhile, City are ready to make an offer for David Trezeguet, according to the Frenchman's agent, but they will be unsuccessful because Juventus regard the striker as "untransferable".

The 31-year-old is out of action until the start of February after sustaining a knee injury in September, but Antonio Caliendo claims that is not putting off City, who have been linked with a host of players in the January transfer window. ''A man close to Manchester City called me some days ago to tell me of his interest in David,'' Caliendo told L'Equipe. ''I believe the club are ready to put on the table a bid of more than 20 million euros to get him. Manchester City's interest isn't new. It happened last year.''

However, Caliendo insists his client is not for sale: ''A big Spanish club also contacted me a few weeks ago, before City did, as well as two clubs from the Persian Gulf.''

''But David is untransferable and it is out of the question that I will talk more to these clubs since David still isn't playing again. He will stay at Juve through this transfer window.''

Trezeguet, who scored 20 goals for Juve in Serie A last season, is under contract at the Turin club until the summer of 2011.




ESPNsoccernet: Help | Media Kit | Contact Us | Site Map | Tools | Jobs at ESPN | Supplier Information | Copyright ©2014 ESPN Internet Ventures.
Terms of Use (Updated 5/6/08), and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.