Zlatan Ibrahimovic to miss Paris Saint-Germain opener vs. Lille
Paris Saint-Germain have confirmed that striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic will miss their opening game of the Ligue 1 season at Lille on Friday.
Ibrahimovic, 33, suffered a twisted ligament in his right knee during Saturday's 2-0 defeat of Lyon in the Trophee des Champions, the curtain-raiser to the Ligue 1 season.
THE BEST OF ESPN FC
- Bell: Liverpool fans make themselves heard
- Cox: Leicester improving | Why Poch should stay
- Okwonga: Man United's market | City's title hopes
- Laurens: PSG's pre-UCL issues | Hertha's curse
- Highlights (U.S. only): Stuttgart 1-3 BVB
- FC TV: Champions League W2W4 | LVG wrong
- News | Transfer | Toe Poke | Fantasy | FC TV | Podcast | MLS
Though no length of his layoff has been disclosed in a club statement, the Sweden striker could now make his first league appearance of the season at home to newly promoted Gazelec Ajaccio on Aug. 16.
Ibrahimovic's absence will give Edinson Cavani the opportunity to fill the central striker's role in Laurent Blanc's 4-3-3 formation.
Javier Pastore and Ezequiel Lavezzi are also still seeking match fitness ahead of the season-opener.