Fulham news

Hughes extends Cottagers stay

December 4, 2009

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes has signed a new deal to keep him at Craven Cottage until 2013.

The former Newcastle and Aston Villa defender is in his third season in West London after being part of the team that narrowly avoided relegation in 2008, and subsequently qualified for the Europa League the following season.

Fulham are currently enjoying life in the top half of the table, largely thanks to the consistency of defensive partnership of Hughes and Brede Hangeland, who also signed a new contract last week.

"I've enjoyed my time at Fulham even during my first season when things weren't going too well on the pitch so I'm delighted to have signed a new deal with the club," Hughes said. "The team has performed well all last year and this form has continued into this season so I'm really delighted that I will be here for a bit longer."

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson, whose current deal expires at the end of the season, has agreed a new rolling contract, with club lawyers currently putting the paperwork together. Hodgson recently turned down approaches from Sweden and Norway about a return to international management.

"I can't put a timescale on it but we are basically in agreement," Hodgson said recently. "It seems everyone is keen for me to stay and I've always made it perfectly clear I'm happy to stay here. "I've never made any secret of the fact I'm enjoying the club here. It's just a question now of putting the contract discussions on to paper."