Everton news

Moyes signals anger over City's Lescott pursuit

August 15, 2009

David Moyes has underlined his determination to keep Joleon Lescott at Everton with a withering attack on Manchester City's conduct in the summer-long transfer battle.

EmpicsLescott has been this summer's transfer saga
Moyes has made it very clear what he thinks of City's long pursuit of the England defender.

He said: "Joleon is a massive player for us, we think so much of him and do not want to lose him.

"The players here think so much of him, and as a staff we do.

"We don't want Joleon to go, it is as simple as that. His head has been twisted and I cannot say the way things have been done is right, it is not how we do things at this club."

Moyes added: "City are not talking to me. They know who to phone and that is me but it hasn't happened. They must be talking to the wrong people.

"There is not a chance we will sell this close to the end of the window, the offers were not big enough.

"Joleon has been distracted, he is in turmoil with the situation. He has been consistently told he will not be sold so he should get his head around that and get on with the job.

"But maybe other people are telling him differently. I hope he knuckles down, he should do because the fans gave him a great reception last week for the friendly with Malaga, and they should do.

"Maybe Manchester City are having dialogue with somebody else, but it is not between me and City.

"He (City boss Mark Hughes) said they were talking to people who make the decisions here, well he knows who makes the decisions at Everton and it is me.

"He has never once picked up the phone and given me a call, so he is not going to get the answer. I am the one who makes the decisions here, not like other clubs.

"It has disrupted us. They have been talking about it and we have not been talking about the start of the season, that has been disruptive. So maybe that is what the overall plan was."