Blackburn Rovers news

Santa Cruz surprised Rovers rejected City bid

January 14, 2009

Wantaway Blackburn Rovers striker Roque Santa Cruz has admitted he is surprised the club did not accept Manchester City's latest bid for him.

City had an offer believed to be in the region of £16million turned down for the Paraguay international last week.

However, the player - currently injured - remains desperate to be reunited with former Rovers boss Mark Hughes at Eastlands and will tell manager Sam Allardyce so.

"The truth is that I do not know how much they want, actually I thought that what they were now offered, £16million, would be accepted," Santa Cruz told Paraguayan radio station Futbol a lo Grande.

"But apparently they are concerned about not finding a replacement when I go, that is what is giving them doubts.

"You hear all the time that the club have asked for £20million and I don't know if City are going to offer that or if they are going to increase their bid.

"For 35 to 37 million dollars (around £25million) they [Blackburn] said that I will be allowed to leave.

"I will communicate and talk to the club and the coach, they know my position, I want to go."