Transfer news

Allegri coy on departures

December 21, 2012
By ESPN staff

 

Massimiliano Allegri says that AC Milan’s hopes of signing a new striker hinge on the departure of either Pato or Robinho in the January transfer window.

Massimiliano Allegri has fashioned Milan into a cohesive unit, inspired by Zlatan Ibrahimovic
APMilan boss Massimiliano Allegri claims not to have considered signing Mario Balotelli or Javier Pastore

Both Brazilian strikers have been linked with a return home, Robinho with former side Santos and Pato with Corinthians – a scenario which would leave Milan in need of reinforcements – but for now Allegri isn’t planning that far ahead.

"If Pato and Robinho leave we'll need another striker because we need five," he told the club's official website. "I suppose 32 squad players is too many. Not for me as much but for them as they tend to get excluded from the team. It's right that they leave to play elsewhere.

"Nothing has changed regarding Pato in the last month. We'll wait for Christmas and for (vice-president Adriano) Galliani to go to Brazil. Talking about his leaving at the moment makes no sense. He has extraordinary qualities but we'll wait and see."

Man City’s Mario Balotelli and PSG’s Javier Pastore are both believed to be targets of the Rossoneri. Allegri, however, played down the likelihood of either heading to Milan.

"I've never trained Balotelli and until I do I can't pass judgment on him. He's a Manchester City player and there's no point talking about him. He showed be allowed to grow and (City manager) Mancini is doing that very well [and] I don't think that Pastore will be allowed to leave PSG."