Wigan news

Whelan tells Wigan fans not to worry

July 5, 2012
By ESPN staff

Dave Whelan has told Wigan fans concerned by the club's lack of action in the transfer market so far to relax.

Dave Whelan is relaxed about Wigan's transfer market prospects
GettyImagesDave Whelan: Advised Roberto Martinez to turn down Aston Villa last summer

The Latics chairman said manager Roberto Martinez "is already well on the case" as he looks to replace the five players who have left last season's squad.

There are also question marks over the future of forward Victor Moses, one of the driving forces behind the hugely impressive run of form that steered Wigan to safety, with a bid from Chelsea already having been turned down.

But Whelan told the Wigan Evening Post: "There's nothing to worry about as far as the fans are concerned - nothing at all. The lads are back in this week and that can sometimes move things along a bit.

"The truth is that we don't really know how busy it's going to be this summer. We lost five players from last year's squad, and those will obviously all have to be replaced. But Roberto is already well on to the case. He's always looking, and I'm sure things are in good hands."

Last month, an angry Whelan hit out at Chelsea, accusing them of "taking the Mickey" with an offer for Moses that was believed to have been around the £4 million mark.

He indicated that he felt the Stamford Bridge club were trying to take advantage of Moses' contractual position - he has 12 months remaining on his contract and has so far stalled on discussions to extend the deal.

Whelan said: "We don't need to sell him with 12 months to go on his contract because he is under 24 so wouldn't be going on a free transfer.

"Ideally, we would like him to sign a new contract, or a club like Chelsea would have to be realistic. At the moment, they are taking the Mickey with the bid they've made."

Moses would be valued at close to £10 million.