Transfer news

Santon hopes for reinforcements

January 2, 2013
By Kristan Heneage

Newcastle defender Davide Santon has called on the club’s owners to invest in their depleted squad as Alan Pardew insisted they “can cope” without striker Demba Ba.

Premier League
PA PhotosAlan Pardew faces an important transfer window

After the defeat at Arsenal on Saturday, the Magpies find themselves just two points above the relegation zone. Despite concerns, Santon, who turns 22 this week, believes those at the top are aware of the club’s needs in January.

• Blog: Thanks Gael Bigirimana

“It's not my job to sign players but the people in charge know what we have to do,” he said. “Anyone who comes in must help us finish the season as best we can. We have to think positive and keep a strong mentality.”

The former Inter Milan defender may be appeased by the news that Mathieu Debuchy is edging closer to joining the club. The 27-year-old flew to Newcastle on Wednesday to undergo a medical and discuss personal terms, with the club hoping to have the deal concluded by the end of this week.

Meanwhile, manager Alan Pardew has said the club will not capitulate without 13-goal striker Demba Ba. Citing Andy Carroll’s departure in January 2011 as an example of the club’s resilience, the 51-year-old also confirmed his intention to add a forward in January.

“I have been in a situation where we lost Andy Carroll,” he said. “I think that to a great extent we were weaker then than we are now. So we have coped with it before and we will cope with it again. Ideally, we want him to stay. Hopefully he will play well tonight and then we go to Brighton on Saturday.

“That is an ongoing situation. The window is notoriously difficult to get somebody early. Agents being clever and play one club off against another - and sometimes bring in phantom clubs. It usually takes until the end of the window.”

The club’s most likely acquisition still appears to be French striker Loic Remy. The Marseille forward is out of favour at l’OM, and has also been linked with Queens Park Rangers and West Ham in recent weeks.

Last month, reports in France claimed Newcastle were preparing a cash plus player bid for Remy that would see midfielder Sylvain Marveaux return to Ligue 1.