Kinnear resigns from Newcastle post
Joe Kinnear has resigned as Newcastle director of football after the club sold key midfielder Yohan Cabaye in January.
• Duffy: Kinnear the fall-guy?
A statement on the Newcastle website read: "Newcastle United can confirm that Joe Kinnear has this evening resigned from his position as director of football with immediate effect. The club will be making no further comment."
Kinnear's tenure at St James' Park has not been popular, and the club only managed to sign striker Luuk De Jong in January. The Magpies also endured a frustrating summer transfer window, with Loic Remy's arrival on loan from Queens Park Rangers their only high-profile signing.
His appointment in the summer was met with questions about his suitability for the role, not helped by a bizarre interview with talkSPORT radio or reports that he tried to sign a player who was already at Newcastle.
In November, a report in the Sunday People claimed that, while attending Birmingham's Capital One Cup win over Swansea in September, Kinnear had been impressed with midfielder Shane Ferguson.
However, Ferguson, 22, is on loan at Birmingham from Newcastle, having joined the Championship club on a season-long deal in the summer.
A City source told Sunday People Sport: "Ferguson had a particularly good game that night, and Joe Kinnear told one of our officials he was interested in signing him.
"At first, our guy thought he was joking -- but then he realised Kinnear did not know Ferguson was already a Newcastle player."