Newcastle agree to sell Cabaye to PSG
Newcastle have agreed to sell Yohan Cabaye to Paris St-Germain for a fee well in excess of the 14 million pound bid that was rejected at the weekend, according to reports.
The Magpies turned down a bid for the 28-year-old France international on Sunday, but appear to be happier with a second approach closer to their valuation, which is around 20 million pounds.
Earlier, manager Alan Pardew said he was hopeful the big-spending Ligue 1 outfit could not tempt owner Mike Ashley into selling Cabaye with the kind of offer which prompted Andy Carroll's 35 million pound departure for Liverpool three years ago this month.
Asked if he was confident of keeping the player, Pardew said: "You are talking to someone who lost Andy Carroll with eight hours to go, so am I confident? No, I'm not confident, and I don't think any team not in a Champions League position or fighting for a Champions League position could be.''
And Pardew’s fears were realised when the French midfielder told him he was eager to leave St James’ Park this week, even though he suggested earlier this month that he was content to stay on Tyneside.
"There is nothing to say," he told Canal+ when quizzed about the linked with PSG. "I’m a Newcastle player and until proven otherwise, I’ll still be here at the end [of the transfer window].
“For me, the most important thing is to do my best for the team. If the manager or the staff are happy with my performance, and the fans who are supporting me are happy, I am happy. My mentality hasn’t changed and I will do my best for the team every day.”
However, ESPN sources understand that Cabaye’s stance on a possible move to PSG changed as soon as they lodged an official bid for the player.
And while he was willing to stay at Newcastle if a deal could not be struck, the 28-year-old was keen to move back to his homeland a play in the Champions League.
Pardew will now put pressure on Newcastle owner Mike Ashley and director of football Joe Kinnear to find a replacement for Cabaye ahead of Friday’s transfer deadline, with our sources suggesting the St James' Park boss is hoping to announce two new signings in the coming days.
Information from the Press Association was used in this report.