Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez: I've thought of retiring from Mexico
West Ham striker Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez said the thought of retiring from international duty with Mexico has "crossed his mind."
The 30-year-old forward hasn't been involved with El Tri since the World Cup, although a prolonged illness meant he couldn't have been chosen for the October friendlies.
"In all the stages [of my career] I've had thoughts about not going, of course," said Hernandez, Mexico's highest-ever goal-scorer, in an interview with Univision. "I've said that and people should judge me however they want. I've thought [about leaving the Mexico squad] at the start [of my career], in the middle and now."
Hernandez didn't go into details about why he had thought about international retirement, but reports have suggested that certain Europe-based players haven't been picked since Russia 2018 because of disagreements with the Mexican federation over image rights, although interim manager Ricardo "Tuca" Ferretti said last month that he chose recent squads with an eye on the future.
Hernandez has now recovered from the virus that kept him out of most of October and could be once again included in games against Argentina on Nov. 16 and Nov. 20, with the squad announcement due on Thursday.
Many of Mexico's Europe-based players were not been called into the squads for the September and October friendlies, with only Raul Jimenez, Guillermo Ochoa, Erick Gutierrez, Diego Reyes, Marco Fabian, Jesus Corona and Hirving Lozano picked in amongst the younger generation of players.
Key figures such as Hector Herrera, Andres Guardado, Hernandez, Carlos Vela, Miguel Layun and Hector Moreno haven't featured since the World Cup.