Steve Mandanda’s Marseille future looks uncertain after the goalkeeper admitted he “doesn't know” what he will do as Monaco reportedly prepare to offer him a bumper deal to join them.
The principality club spent €70 million on Porto duo Joao Moutinho and James Rodriguez last week, and while a €60 million bid for Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao reportedly remains in the pipeline, the newly-promoted Ligue 2 champions feel Mandanda would be the ideal last line of defence to bolster their return to the top flight.
L'Equipe reported this weekend that the 2004 Champions League runners-up were prepared to offer the France international, who extended his Marseille contract to 2016 during the 2012-13 season, a four-year deal worth €250,000 net a month - the same salary he picks up before tax at the Stade Velodrome. Monaco will also comfortably be able to match the player’s asking price, thought to be in the region of €15 million.
"I don't know what I'm going to do," Mandanda told the media after his side’s 0-0 draw with Reims on Sunday evening. "Anyway, whatever I say, you don't need me for you to talk about it."
Marseille president Vincent Labrune told L'Equipe on Saturday that "there has been no concrete offer from Monaco to OM, and no concrete offer from Monaco to the player", adding that the club was on a sounder financial footing than a year ago, meaning they could afford to refuse offers for their prized assets.
Earlier this month, Mandanda himself told beIN Sport he would most likely remain at the Stade Velodrome for the 2013-14 campaign.
"I can stay at OM my whole career just as I could leave next season or in two years,” he said. “But I feel important here. I have everything here to make me stay. People have often talked to me about Monaco, but no-one's called me. Nothing's done."