AC Ajaccio
7:00 PM UTC May 25, 2018
ESPN3 6:45 PM UTC May 26, 2018
Aston Villa
Fulham
4:00 PM UTC May 26, 2018

Manchester United should not become a sacking club - David Moyes

Former Manchester United boss David Moyes does not think the club should sack his successor Louis van Gaal.

Van Gaal is under heavy pressure after his side's underwhelming season took a turn for the worse with a dismal 2-1 defeat to Danish minnows FC Midtjylland in the Europa League on Thursday.

Moyes was axed with the club in similar disarray two years ago but the Scot does not believe another dismissal would be right.

"I don't think Manchester United should become a sacking club," Moyes told BBC Sport. "I was disappointed when I lost my job after 10 months, but we would think Manchester United have always stood for much greater things than sacking their managers regularly. So, I don't think they should [sack him.]''

Moyes was speaking while working as a TV pundit at former club Everton's FA Cup tie at Bournemouth.

Sitting alongside him was ex-England striker Alan Shearer, who suggested Van Gaal's days were numbered.

Shearer said: "I think he will be very lucky to see this out. I admired him for the way he kept fighting back and sticking up for his team and himself and his club, but I thought he looked a defeated man after Sunderland and the performance in midweek in the Europa League was terrible.''

Comments