Adnan Januzaj misses Manchester United under-21 game due to fitness
Adnan Januzaj has been pulled out of Manchester United's under-21 squad for Monday's game at Reading because Louis van Gaal does not think he is fit enough.
Van Gaal recalled Januzaj from his loan at Borussia Dortmund last week after the club became frustrated by the forward's lack of game time in Germany.
Januzaj, 20, started just three matches during his four-month spell at Dortmund, all of which were in the Europa League.
The United manager wants Januzaj to regain his fitness with the under-21 side before bringing him back into the first-team fold and had identified Monday's game against Reading as the ideal place for him to start.
THE BEST OF ESPN FC
- Bell: Liverpool fans make themselves heard
- Cox: Leicester improving | Why Poch should stay
- Okwonga: Man United's market | City's title hopes
- Laurens: PSG's pre-UCL issues | Hertha's curse
- Highlights (U.S. only): Stuttgart 1-3 BVB
- FC TV: Champions League W2W4 | LVG wrong
- News | Transfer | Toe Poke | Fantasy | FC TV | Podcast | MLS
However, Van Gaal has now said he is not satisfied that Januzaj, who last played for Dortmund over a month ago, is fit enough to play in the game at Adams Park.
"We have reconsidered and we think we have to build him up for the game and not risk too much by putting him in a game at once," the United manager told MUTV.
Dortmund boss Thomas Tuchel said the Belgium international showed a lack of motivation during his time at the Westfalenstadion.