Sources: Manchester United open contract talks with Ashley Young
Manchester United have opened talks with Ashley Young over a new deal, sources have told ESPN FC.
Young, 29, has just over a year to run on his current contract after joining on a five-year deal from Aston Villa in 2011.
MANCHESTER UNITED LATEST
- Mitten: Complexities of the transfer market
- Marshall: Chicharito must make the right move
- Real target De Gea should be 'happy' - Mata
- Watch: Van Gaal must make statement buys
- Pogba was ready for United in 2012 - Henry
- United 'paid a lot' for Depay - Koeman
- Mitten: Mixed feelings over Falcao move
The winger has established himself as a key figure for Louis van Gaal this season after being linked with a move away from Old Trafford last summer.
The England international has been used in an unfamiliar wing-back role by Van Gaal, but has impressed in the defensive position with the Dutch coach using a 3-5-2 formation at times this season.
Young, who is working his way back to full fitness after a hamstring injury, has made 13 Premier League appearances for United this season after finding himself in and out of the side last term under David Moyes.
Van Gaal has been impressed by Young's versatility and sees him as an instrumental part of his future plans at Old Trafford.
United officials have opened negotiations with Young as they look to tie down the former Watford youngster to a new long-term deal.