AC Ajaccio
7:00 PM UTC May 25, 2018
ESPN3 6:45 PM UTC May 26, 2018
Aston Villa
Fulham
4:00 PM UTC May 26, 2018

Louis van Gaal: £150m spree talk disrespectful to Man United players

Louis van Gaal branded suggestions Manchester United will embark on another 150 million-pound spending spree "disgusting."

The Dutchman claimed it was "disrespectful" to his squad to suggest many of them could be replaced by big-money signings.

United spent a record 152 million pounds last summer to bring in Angel Di Maria, Luke Shaw, Ander Herrera, Marcos Rojo, Daley Blind and Radamel Falcao.

But Van Gaal refused to discuss the prospect of another summer of expensive additions, saying in a news conference: "I think it is disgusting always writing about numbers.

"I don't think that [executive vice-chairman] Ed Woodward said anything about that, I don't think I said anything about that. It is disrespectful to my players and I don't like to talk about it."

Van Gaal claimed he is content to work with his current group of players, adding: "I have to work with the selection I have. I have respect for my selection. I believe in my players."

United are the English club who paid the most in transfer fees in the last transfer window while Monday's opponents, Southampton, brought in the highest sum, 93 million pounds.

But Van Gaal claimed United are forced to pay a premium for players because of who they are, explaining: "I don't think that money is the question in this. When Manchester [United] is coming, always the clubs are asking for more money and then we have to pay because we are Manchester United."

Comments