Wilfried Zaha to be given chance
Louis van Gaal has said that Wilfried Zaha does have a part to play in Manchester United's tour of the United States.
The England international, who endured a difficult first season at Old Trafford, is the only outfield player in United's squad who has not taken the field in their first two games, a 7-0 win against Los Angeles Galaxy and Saturday's 3-2 triumph over Roma.
But new manager Van Gaal has rejected suggestions that Zaha's attitude has not been good enough, insisting it is purely because he has an unbalanced squad and said he is considering the 21-year-old.
He said at a news conference in Denver: "I have a lot of players who can play in the strikers' positions. I have already said that our selection is not in balance. I can put six strikers in.
"So maybe next time I will put Zaha in because he is working hard. He is doing all the things I require or demand, so there is no problem."
Van Gaal has been able to call upon attackers such as Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck and Juan Mata, who all started against Roma, plus Javier Hernandez, Nani, Ashley Young and youngsters Will Keane and Jesse Lingard, while he has fewer options in the centre of defence.
Zaha was Sir Alex Ferguson's final signing for United, with the Scot sealing a 15 million-pound deal before he retired.
But he struggled under David Moyes, failing to start a league game and making only four appearances before he was loaned to Cardiff, who were then relegated.
Zaha told United's official website last week: "For me, I definitely feel like this is a clean slate. All I'm trying to do is impress the new manager and get into his squad. All I can do is give my all."