Previous
Middlesbrough
Norwich City
2:00 PM GMT
Game Details
Lazio
AS Roma
4:00 PM GMT
Game Details
Hull City
Manchester United
0
0
FT
Game Details
Newcastle United
West Ham United
2
0
FT
Game Details
Chelsea
Sunderland
3
1
FT
Game Details
Arsenal
West Bromwich Albion
4
1
FT
Game Details
Stoke City
Liverpool
6
1
FT
Game Details
Manchester City
Southampton
2
0
FT
Game Details
Everton
Tottenham Hotspur
0
1
FT
Game Details
Aston Villa
Burnley
0
1
FT
Game Details
Leicester City
Queens Park Rangers
5
1
FT
Game Details
Crystal Palace
Swansea City
1
0
FT
Game Details
New York Red Bulls
Philadelphia Union
0
2
FT
Game Details
San Jose Earthquakes
Orlando City SC
1
1
FT
Game Details
Next

Berlusconi apologises for Balotelli slur

AC Milan president Silvio Berlusconi has apologised for calling Mario Balotelli "a rotten apple", but denied any knowledge of the club’s interest in the Manchester City striker.

Doubt remains over Mario Balotelli's future at Manchester City
Balotelli has been linked with a number of Italian clubs

Following Balotelli’s training ground bust-up with City manager Roberto Mancini earlier in January, links between the Italy international and the Rossoneri intensified, with speculation mounting that the player could move to the San Siro during this month’s transfer window.

However, at the time Berlusconi laughed off those reports, saying Balotelli’s sort was not wanted in the Milan dressing room.

“If you place a bad apple in the dressing room then it can infect all of the others,” he told Antenna 3. “Balotelli is someone who I would never accept in the Milan squad.”

Yet on Tuesday morning Berlusconi said that his original comments were misrepresented and that he had not meant to slur Balotelli’s name.

"What I said was based on the fact that I feel positive people are useful in the changing room,” he told Sky Italia. "I was not referring to Balotelli and I apologise if it was taken as a slur against him.

“Could he still come to Milan? No one from my club has held any talks with him, and neither [Adriano] Galliani (Milan vice president) or I have identified him as a transfer target."

Berlusconi’s latest comments came after Galliani all but closed the door on any new arrivals this month.

“Balotelli? I’ve always said that if one forward left the club during the transfer window, as has happened with [Alexandre] Pato, then things would remain the same,” he told La Gazzetta dello Sport. “We have five forwards for two to three places. That’s enough.”

Berlusconi, however, offered a different opinion to Galliani’s, stating his desire to bring in additions to the Milan squad.

"I am pestering Galliani because there are a few players I would like us to sign, ones we could bring in by the end of January,” he said. "I won't name names, I've been told not to. Galliani told me, 'president, don't name names if you want us to succeed’."

 

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.