Andres Guardado admits to MLS approaches, denies deal in place
KAZAN, Russia -- PSV and Mexico midfielder Andres Guardado said on Sunday he is not on the brink of a move to Major League Soccer but admitted there have been approaches, following a report the 30-year-old had agreed a four-year deal to join Los Angeles FC.
"They've placed me in MLS for three years," Guardado told reporters after Mexico's 2-2 draw against Portugal in the Confederations Cup. "They say I'm tied to Atlanta and then somewhere else."
Guardado said he is used to the rumors that surround him, adding his agent deals with his transfers and that he is completely focused on the Confederations Cup.
The former Valencia player didn't deny the MLS link entirely, however, just that a deal is already in place.
"There is [something], I've never denied it," he said when asked by ESPN FC. "There are approaches; they've made approaches from a long time ago and there are always offers."
Guardado suggested that he'd need to consider his age, his situation in Europe and whether a project convinces him or not before he would sign for MLS.
"I've still got a year left in PSV and I'm not thinking of leaving just to leave," he said. "I'm happy there."
Expansion franchise LAFC makes its MLS debut in 2018 and is reportedly seeking to sign star names.
Guardado joined Eindhoven from Valencia after a loan spell in 2014, having previously played for Deportivo La Coruna and Liga MX side Atlas.
Tom Marshall covers Liga MX and the Mexican national team for ESPN FC. Twitter: @MexicoWorldCup.