Major League Soccer announces 2016 league schedule
NEW YORK -- Major League Soccer's New York City FC will host the rival New York Red Bulls at Yankee Stadium on May 21 and July 3.
The teams will meet July 24 at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey, according to the MLS schedule announced Thursday. The Red Bulls swept all three meetings last year in NYCFC's first season. The league schedule includes rivalry weeks from May 20-22 and Aug. 26-28.
MLS will take a break from June 3-14 for the group stage of the Copa America Centenario, which is being played in the United States.
ESPN will broadcast 29 of its 34 games on its main network, up from eight last year.
ESPN plans Sunday doubleheaders in June and July that open with matches at the European Championship in France.
MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER
- McIntyre: Cole not in L.A. for the beaches
- Rapids add Conor Doyle from D.C. United
- Altidore seeks to make 2016 his best year
- Parkhurst: Road to MLS Cup starts now
- McBride: Miazga to Chelsea a positive
- FC TV: Fernando Torres moving to MLS?
- Transfers: Latest MLS player moves
Fox will televise MLS games on its main network for the first time, broadcasting the New York derbies on May 21 and July 24. The May 21 telecast is part of a doubleheader that includes the FA Cup final in London.
Fox also will televise Seattle at Portland at Seattle on July 17 and Portland at Kansas City on July 31.