David Beckham reiterates Miami interest
MACAU -- David Beckham said he is looking forward to becoming the owner of a new MLS franchise in Miami.
Beckham, 38, said that"nothing has been confirmed yet, but it's something I am very excited about."
He added: "Miami is something that really excites me because there is a great energy down there. They are ready for a football team in that part of the world."
Beckham was speaking at a promotional event at The Venetian casino in Macau. He is expected to attend Saturday's WBO welterweight title fight between Manny Pacquiao and Brandon Rios at The Venetian.
MLS had a franchise in South Florida from 1998 to 2001, but the Fusion folded after playing in Fort Lauderdale. Earlier this week Miami Heat superstar LeBron James confirmed he is in preliminary discussions about involvement with a potential MLS franchise in Miami.
"The research is still being made out, but I think it can be huge," said James, a four-time league MVP and two-time champion. "But you never know. I think this is a great town for soccer. There are a lot of soccer players here. There is a lot of great youth soccer here."
Last month, a source told ESPN FC that Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross expressed his interest in looking to partner with Beckham to bring an MLS expansion team to Miami.
The source indicated that if Beckham and his partners are successful in landing a team, Ross will work in conjunction with the group, and that he wouldn't provide any of the start-up money needed by Beckham's consortium.
Beckham has an option to acquire an MLS expansion franchise at a discounted rate, believed to be $25 million. It also has been reported that Beckham's option expires at the end of the year, although ESPN FC could not confirm that detail.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.